Sunday, April 24, 2011

Warning: Kind of long, but I encourage you to read it all the way. :-)

Hey ya'll!! I am sorry there have been no new updates for a few weeks. The last few weeks have been such a whirlwind and I have a feeling these last three weeks until graduation will be no different. I will try and do a brief plot summary of what has been going on in my world. :-)

Workouts the past few weeks have been happening. Yeah! But, not as often as I want them to be. Boo!! I ditched C25K last week. Probably not the best idea two weeks before Race for the Cure, but I was bored with it and needed something new. So, I started something new and something that I think will be more beneficial to me in the long haul. Speed intervals. . . Yep! I feel like I can get over the hump quicker by switching between a moderate running pace and a pretty good power walk pace as opposed to a slower jogging speed. So far, so good! I am also going to start incorporating weight lifting again. I miss it and I feel better about myself when I am lifting weights. I am going to search for a lifting cycle that will target areas and that will be the most beneficial. Will let you know how it goes.

Race for the Cure is THIS SATURDAY!!! Honestly, I am starting to get a little concerned. I think I just need to remind myself why I am doing this and to have a good time with it. Unfortunately, my family will be visiting a college with my baby sister and will not be able to be there, but my best friend is suppose to be there. No hard feelings at all towards my family. I actually wish I could be there with them and share in this exciting time with my baby sister. :-) I will finish the race regardless of how or the time. ;-)

Now, for something a bit more personal. :-) I applied for a job ( Sorry, no more details.) about a month ago and got the wonderful opportunity to go in and test for this job on Thursday. Now, this is just the very beginning of a very long process, but to even get the opportunity was an amazing experience. I cannot help but to thank God!! While I would be definitely upset if I did not make it past the test, to have the experience and opportunity was more than I could ever ask for. Hopefully, I will hear something this week on the test and I am hoping it will be good news. Originally, when this opportunity presented itself I was excited of course but still very wanting the military to work. I still want the military to work out, but I can feel a change within letting me know that if this is the only thing that happens, it will be a good thing. God has a plan. I know this. Now, I must hang on to that.

One last thing before signing off. I, for whatever reason, am intrigued (if that is the right word) with certain things, usually devastating, that have happened in history. The Challenger (Yes, I know I was not born), OKC Bombing, 9/11, and most recently the Tucson Tragedy. As more information came out on the news about who Gabrielle Giffords is as a person, I began reading more about her too. I hope to one day meet this wonderful woman and my continued thoughts and prayers are with her, her family, and every life change that day. I found a speech she gave to the 2009 Scripps College graduating class. I will leave you all with a little bit from her speech. It sounds funny, but the words truly touched me and reminded me of certain things in life. Here you go:

"You cannot authentically live anyone's life but your own. That is the deal life offers us. We as women have fought too hard and for too long against the narrowing confines of social expectations to have anything less. Here at this wonderful point in your lives today, this hatching into you future, it is now time for you to embrace what was denied those who came before--it is now time to follow the passion inside your heart and listen to its voice above all others. And what it says to you in the years may surprise you and invert the notions of how you thought your life would turn out. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being confounded like this, especially in your early twenties. That is part of the adventure of growing older-- and growing deeper into your old skin as women, or as the wonderful poem go: WARNING, when I am an old woman, I shall wear purple. So yes, I am saying being happy is more than just something to hope for. It's something to expect. When you do this, when you tune out the critical voices in your head and embrace what your heart is saying, you don't just make your own life better. You make the world better."

No comments:

Post a Comment