Sunday, August 7, 2011

Meeting Astronauts

While, some of my fellow space tweeps were down at KSC for the Juno launch, I had the wonderful opportunity to head up to Johns Hopkins University to hear some of the crew of STS-134 and Expedition 26/27 speak. WHAT AN AMAZING EXPERIENCE!! So, here goes a rundown of the evening.

My wonderful father took off work early so that I would not have to go by myself. We left the DC area around 3ish and were up there around 4:15. After making a few turnarounds on the JHU campus, we eventually found the building where the presentation was going to be held. We got there about 2 hours early, but I did not care and it actually gave us time to explore their astronomy building. We also got there plenty early to scope out the good seats and sit down. They had the entire left side of the auditorium marked off for NASA people and then the first three rows of the middle section marked off. I got nosy and started looking to see who had a reserved seat. I see none other than a seat reserved for Cady Coleman!! Now, for those of you who know me you have probably heard me speak of her. She took a few different instruments into space, namely flute instruments, and also played a space-earth duet with Ian Anderson. (I play flute, for those of you who did not know this.) Side note-- I am getting all smiley just thinking about the evening! :-) It was an amazing evening! Back to it. . .

The auditorium started to feel up and then, a lady came and ripped off Cady Coleman's reserved sign. :-( I got super sad at this point, but knew there could still be a chance of seeing her because she was at the DC event earlier in the day. They had also not taken off her guest reserved seats that they had just put up since we had been there. About 10 minutes before the presentation began, this lady walks down to the front of the room with two people. Another lady points to the Cady Coleman guests seats and tells them that is where the people would be seating. Now, I hate to admit this but it took me a moment to realize that it was. . . CADY COLEMAN!!! I started hitting my dad and was like OMG there she is!! Yes, I acted like a 5 year old in a candy store. I was just over the moon, no pun intended. Hehe! ;-)

The presentation itself was AMAZING!! Mark Kelly was an amazing speaker and seeing/hearing all the other astronauts speak was amazing!! They also showed an amazing video at the end before they took questions from the audience. At the end, we all made our way up to a reception. We stopped one of the professor's and asked if they would be out speaking to people and he said they were supposed to be. When we walked back out to the rotunda, we noticed different crowds gathering. I got so excited knowing that I was more than likely fixing to meet these astronauts. The first astronaut was Mark Kelly. He was incredibly friendly and more than willing to chit chat for just a moment. What an amazing person! I totally forgot to bring something with me to sign and he ended up just signing a piece of paper that we had printed out about the event. I did not even care at that moment. Next, was finding Cady Coleman. She was also incredibly nice and friendly!! I introduced myself and told her I played flute as well. We briefly talked and I asked if she was going to the National Flute Convention next weekend and she said she was. I hope to get time to ask questions and my fingers are crossed. By this time they were ushering the astronauts out, but I did manage to get Paolo Nespoli to sign my paper and pose for a picture.

Mark Kelly

Cady Coleman

Paolo Nespoli


Even though I was not at the Juno NASA Tweetup, I must admit this is going to be very hard to top. I had an amazing and once in a lifetime evening! Every time I think about what all I got to do and the people I got to meet, a huge smile comes on my face. :-) So, to end this post here are some pictures from the evening. Enjoy!! :-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment